Sunday, July 1, 2012

Winter warmers - homemade soup

Today I decided to make soup for our mild winters day. It turned out incredibly delectable and I thought I would share my recipe - while I still remember what I threw in the pot!

Chunky and Hearty Soup

2 venison shanks (you could substitute these with 4 lamb shanks.)
3 medium carrots, chopped coarsely
2 brown onions, chopped coarsely
2-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 medium potatoes, chopped coarsely
1 medium sweet potato or kumara, chopped coarsely
2 celery stalks, trimmed, chopped coarsely
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 litre (4 cups) of beef stock
500ml (2 cups) of chicken stock
1/2 cup of tomato paste
A shake of each, dried rosemary, oregano and thyme.

1. Place all ingredients in large saucepan; bring to the boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1.5-2 hours, or until shanks are tender.
2. Remove shanks from soup. When cool enough remove meat from bones, discard bones. Return meat to soup, stir until hot, season to taste.
3. Serve soup warm with your favourite bread for extra heartiness.

Easy and tastes great. This soup is full of rich and deep flavour that will leave you wanting more. What better way to warm a day and get a healthy serving of vegetables and meat.


1 comment:

I would love to know you have visited me, so leave me a comment :)